Yakovlev Vasiliy Nikolaevich
Vasiliy Yakovlev was a keen follower of the academic style of painting. He sought to combine “the style of old gurus” with the targets of socialist realism. From 1911, Yakovlev studied at the physics and mathematics department at the Moscow University, also taking lessons in the studio of Vasily Meshkov in 1913–1914. In 1914–1917, he studied at the Moscow School of Arts, Sculpture and Architecture, where his teachers were Abram Arkhipov and Konstantin Korovin. Yakovlev was a member of the Academy of Arts. For many years he worked as a paintings restorer in various museums, heading the restoration workshop at the State Museum of Fine Arts. In his work, Yakovlev combined visualities of Italian, Dutch and Flemish paintings, with personal impressions from travel and creative assignments, which realized into original and peculiar pieces, full of pathos and technical proficiency, evident in the series «Fish of the Barentsev Sea» (1931–1934), «Gold-diggers, writing to the author of the Great Constitution» (1937), «Argument about Art» (1946), «Kolkhoz Herd» (1948; Stalin Prize of 1949). Yakovlev also created salon type portraits and “old-time” landscapes, such as “The Views of Sorrento,” 1933. In 1938-1939 and 1949-1950, Yakovlev was the head artist of the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition. The artists also worked as a teacher. Since 1918, he taught at Free Art workshops and at the Surikov’s State Art Institute in Moscow. Yakovlev’s last significant work was managing, together with Pavel Sokolov-Skalya, the restoration of the Sevastopol panorama by France Rubo since 1952. Yakovlev’s works are represented at the State Tretyakov Gallery, the State Russian Museum and at other museums of the former USSR.